Updated Aug 2021
Everyone is well aware of just how elaborate and expansive the global political world is, so if you’ve picked this as your alma mater, you’ll have a good idea of just how complex things can get.
Whenever people are involved, things tend to get complicated – that’s why good criminal justice research topics are so hard to come by. Most people who study politics don’t wind up as politicians, rather professionals in the field of politics, and that’s a beast of its own.
We salute you for this major undertaking and hope you are prepared for the challenging world of political science studies. As long as you attend all of your classes, take a course here and there, and do your research papers – you’ll be fine.
However, consider just how time-consuming, hard, and complicated it is to stay on top of things, especially when it comes to writing research papers. Not only is finding the topic a nightmare but writing the content can be overly demanding.
Worry not – StudyClerk is your research paper helper and we have got your back, so we’ve prepared a couple of things to help you along the way – original, crisp, and interesting research paper topics.
How to Write Political Science Research Paper
Writing any kind of research paper is a challenging task, but doing so on the subject matter of political sciences is another beast entirely. Unlike most social sciences, political studies are very dynamic, and the tides can shift from day to day.
It makes a big difference in how you should approach your research paper. A topic is only as good as it is original or fresh. Since the current political dynamic is shifting so often, you can find a piece of news and turn it into a fantastic paper.
A great way to start with writing a research paper is to start seeking inspiration. Luckily, when it comes to politics, your inspiration is all around you. Take a look at your local politics, for starters, and see what you can dig out from there, aside from some interesting psychology topics.
After you’ve got a general idea of where you’re headed, it might not be a bad idea to outline the entire thing, and the first step to that is getting a top-shelf research paper title.
How to Choose Political Science Research Paper Topics
Choosing the right topic is imperative, and you can do so by digging a little deeper into politics. Politics have been going on for almost as long as society itself, in one shape or the other. From the triumvirate to the congress, there is a lot of material to go over and many different things you can tap into.
To help you get a better perspective on what goes into creating a magnum opus of a research paper, here are some top tips.
- Try to keep your subject matter relatively new;
- Don’t be afraid to dig a little into controversy;
- Know your general direction before you start drafting the topic;
- When creating a research paper topic, try and keep it unique;
- Don’t be afraid to provide a different perspective on well-covered matters;
- Don’t go too much into the political theory without backing it up with practice and examples;
- Always follow university or faculty rules for subject matters and formatting.
Interesting Political Science Research Topics
If you wonder how learning something so gruesome and serious as political science can be interesting, you should, probably, learn more about how researchable and fascinating even an ordinary topic might be. If you lack ideas, you can always get some research paper help and have your paper written for you.
It is always a good decision to get some help with your paper even if you want to write it by yourself. To begin with, make sure that you have found some proper political science research topics. Here comes a list that you can use:
- Can nationalism be classified as a proper school of leaders in history?
- 20th-century politics and Karl Marx.
- How technologies impact voting processes?
- Is modern political culture dependent upon technology?
- Fascism and its faces before and after World War II.
- Electoral reforms: how effective they are when it comes to establishing free election institutions?
- How American foreign policies have affected European politics of the 20th century?
- Modern politics and environmental struggles.
- Modernization of global politics in the 21st century.
- Voting process alternation by technology.
Empirical Research Paper Topics
If you want to write a good research paper, you should definitely embark upon writing an empirical research paper, as there is no way to object empirical evidence. If you find it hard to find proper empirical evidence, remember that you can always find a research paper for sale and have it written for you.
- Why experimental research is important in today’s political science?
- A realist approach to Russian foreign policy.
- Analyzing the Geneva Convention in regards to refugee rights.
- Educational inequalities in China or how governmental policies impact Chinese children?
- What is civil society?
- How do civil wars emerge?
- How the United States Constitution would have looked like if the Founding Fathers had modern technologies?
- Civil societies and modern politics.
- Social media as a new public administration instrument.
- Role of anarchism within the public administration system.
Comparative Politics Research Paper Topics
There is always a lot to compare when it comes to talking about politics. So, here are some topics that you might fancy writing about.
- Abraham Lincoln’s Lyceum Address in comparison to modern political speeches.
- How Segregation could have looked like without Supreme Court?
- American Commercial Films and Political Messages Conveyed.
- China versus America: New economic battle.
- Democracy Laboratories of Contemporary Federalism: a comparative approach.
- Crime TV-shows: their impact upon law misinterpretation.
- America and Australia: how education policies differ?
- Nationalism in comparison to other philosophies.
- Female education in Afghanistan: a comparative review.
- Authoritarianism and Totalitarianism
Government Research Paper Topics
American Government has always been changing a game-changer international arena. Writing a research paper about it or other leading governments of the world is always a good idea.
- Public relations of American Government and their role in its success.
- Bush and Clinton war doctrines.
- Why France go hard on its immigration policies?
- American Presidential Election 2008: Biased depiction of female politicians in mass media.
- Role of old bureaucratic processes in modern America.
- How American democracy is shaped?
- American elections: using propaganda to achieve the result needed.
- How power is balanced between institutions of authority in America.
- European Crisis: Germany’s role.
- Is Guatemala reviving after its conflict?
American Politics Research Paper Topics
There is always a lot of interesting things going on in American politics. Hence, there is always a lot to write about.
- What are the principles of building the neoteric American democracy?
- What will prevail in liberalism or idealism?
- American Government and climate change.
- Institutionalism as an instrument of American public management scientists.
- The United States and the Middle East: How the future looks like?
- Marriage equality in America under local political pressure.
- Democratic ideas that shape America today.
- American Civil War: its impact on modern governments.
- Are American parties weak in comparison to their 1960s predecessors?
- Democrats versus Republicans: a primordial battle or a fight for prevalence of law?
International Relations Research Topics
The things that are happening in the international arena today cannot go unnoticed and will definitely have consequences for international politics in the nearest future. Here are some topics to consider:
- How Syria ended up between two political fronts?
- Russian aggression against Ukraine. What causes and lets Russia to disregard and disobeyed the norms of international law?
- Why is president Putin holding tight to his chair?
- China as the new overlord of the 21st century.
- How the 2019 protests in Paris will shape the future of France?
- Mexico and the problem of illegal immigrants?
- Brexit is over. What is the next step for Great Britain?
- How Europe is going to fare without a founding member?
- Syrian refugees and Donald Trump: who is right?
- Will Britain manage to retain its unity after Brexit?
Current Research Topics in Political Science
The current state of US politics is rocky, making it much more attractive. If you’d like to have an understanding of the current events, watch the news. If you’d like to have some topics, we’ve got ten fantastic options for you:
- The United States Versus Russia: the Political Similarities and Differences
- The Politics of Poverty — Exploring Sub Saharan African Politics
- The Electoral College and Whether It Should Be Abolished or Given More Power
- Voters Rights or Voters Citizen Obligations
- How Falling to Vote Shapes Political Tenures
- Why Have We Never Seen a Third Party Rule in the Us?
- Democrats and Republicans — Same Thing or Entirely Different
- The Internet and Its Role in Shaping Modern Politics
- How Meme Culture Has Raised Political Awareness
- Apartheid and Modern Segregation in the US
Easy Political Science Research Topics
We’ve stated more than a few times that political science is one of the most complicated social sciences out there – but that doesn’t have to reflect negatively on the research papers. In fact, covering something relatively simple in nature can be an innovation if you put your unique spin on it. Here are some ways that we’d do it:
- From Tribes to Nations: The Beginnings of Politics
- What Makes Politics a Necessity
- Is Anarchy Ever Going to Become the Norm?
- Communism and Its Ingrained Instability
- The Corporate Nether of Late Stage Capitalism
- The Many Flavors of Communism: China, Russia, Yugoslavia
- Is Fascism a Reflection of the Roman Empire or a Mockery of It
- People Skills and Politics. What It Takes to Get Ahead
- How Do Socialites Became Politicians
- NGOs and GOs — the Close but Distant Relationship Between the Two Bodies
Political Theorists Research Topics
If you’re looking for some fresh ideas in political theory, here are a couple of topics that you can use:
- Why Did Rome Fall? An Examination of a Declining Empire
- Jean Bodin and What He Failed to See About Sovereignty
- Is the USA Following the Same Trajectory as Ancient Rome?
- Key Figures That Defined Capitalism
- Key Figures and Political Events That Lead to Nazism
- How Greco-Roman Philosophers Shaped Modern Politics
- Ancient Democracy and the Democracy of Today
- The Orwellian Perspective on Politics
- The Bastardization of Neitzsche by the Nazi Propaganda Machine
- Plato and the Republic
Political Conflicts Topics
Conflicts are a mess. Political conflicts are an even worse mess, as they involve politicians, who have to keep things public at most times. Political conflicts or ideological conflicts can be a great way to stir up patriotism, or they could crumble a country in no time at all. Here are some topics on the matter.
- How Wars Shape Countries for Decades to Come
- The Soviet-Afghan Conflict: a Boiling Point for a Crumbling Empire
- Israel, Palestine, and the War Crimes on Both Sides
- The Implosion of Yugoslavia and Its Aftermath
- The Swedish Immigrant Crisis
- The Slaying of Gaddafi and Where the Line Is Drawn
- Dictators and Presidents — the Conflict Between the Two
- Racism and Its Impact on Modern Politics
- NATO | Meddling or Resolving
- The Press or the Politician — Who’s Actually in Charge
Political Science Research Topics on Mediation & Negotiation
Negotiating and bargaining are the pillars of politics. Without the two, there would be no capitalism, and there would be no modern economy to run countries. However, mediation and negotiation go far beyond the economy, and here are ten topics you could explore on the matter.
- All Is Fair in Love and War. Negotiation During Wartime Conflicts
- How Are Things Actually Settled During Wars on the Political Front
- Are Whistleblowers Saviors or Traitors
- The Danger of Political Asylum and How It Can Hinder Discussions
- How Snowden & Rodchenkov Soured Relationships
- Negotiating With the Terrorists: How Terrorism and Narcoterrorism Negotiations Work
- Bending the Rules for the Greater Good
- How Some Politicians Seem to Be Above the Law When Negotiating
- Should Mediation Be Done by Politicians or Trained Professionals
- Crisis and Risk Management. How Modern Negotiation Actually Works
Public Administration Research Topics
There are copious examples regarding how public administration is an integral component of any political system. So, writing about it might be a good idea to impress your professor.
- Legal decisions and their effect on public interests.
- Public administration. Is it founded on statistics?
- Legal ethics under democratic pressure.
- Public administration as a diversity management tool.
- Political science and public administration: a unity or a war?
- How public administration helps governments remain accountable?
- Domestic affairs and public administration.
- Urban budget management principles.
- Modern technologies in public administration.
- Public administration and its role in defining people’s needs.
Public Policy Research Paper Topics
Any political decision adopted must serve the public. Thereafter, there is no way one can run away from writing a public policy research paper.
- How criticism shapes public policies?
- How federal and state bureaucracies differ?
- Which role does ethics play in political decisions?
- Humanity and politics. Is there any relation?
- The most important roles in fiscal administration.
- Public analysis and assessment performance strategies.
- How the process of spending budget establishment looks like.
- Target culture in American governmental organizations.
- Public management technologies.
- The role of local government in the country management.
Every time when someone thinks of politics, people tend to think that this is some rocket science. Sure enough, it is an intricate world of systems, relations, and tensions, but those who understand how it works find it considerably easier to live in this world. Nowadays, there is a need to learn political science because the world is gradually moving towards the state of full submersion into politics. Hence, researching some proper topics might a good cornerstone for your foundation of political wisdom.