Choosing a good topic for the historical research of any period causes a lot of headaches for students and this is nor because they lack creativity. For the most part, they are struggling with coming up with the topic that will be both relevant to what one studies plus be interesting enough to work on. Below we offer you a list of research paper topics on history that you’ll love to study in-depth.
History research paper topics for college students
A lot of interesting history topics one can write about usually revolve around very controversial issues that can be logically explained by representatives of both sides of the argument. The thing is, for you, as a history student, it’s not a good idea to dive into the emotional or personal context of those ideas that caused a lot of turmoil back then. Your task here is to explain the conditions under which they are now perceived as controversial, what helped them to take place, and the causative-consecutive relations of this event to many others. Opinion papers, of course, are a different topic to be discussed but when we’re talking about pure scientific research, you better refrain from undocumented or unproven claims when dealing with history research paper topics.
- Why the Nazi’s Ideology Was So Popular Among Masses?
- Are White Supremacists New Nazis?
- Capitalism: What went Wrong with Arguably the Most Suitable Political Ideology
- The Politics of Closed Border: Is Integration Possible (Case of North Korea)
- How 1-Child Policy in China Takes Its Toll Today
- Cold War 2.0: Russian-American Political Discourse Under Trump and Putin
- How Consumerism Dictates the Politics
- The Drawbacks associated with Technological Progress
- Things We Use that Weren’t Changed Since the Roman Empire
- Religion and History: Events that Won’t Take Place if not for Religious Reasons
World History Research Paper Topics
It’s truly an interesting time to be alive as we witness so many important events and are their contemporaries. It also gives more work for historians as their job is to document them from every possible viewpoint, and your school assignment is pretty much a part of it. There’s an option to pay for a research paper, but if you are ready to write it yourself, we have some topics for you to consider.
- What Caused Christianity Split and How It Still Affects Us Now
- Japanese-American Relationship: Ups & Downs
- Rich Spain, Poor Spain: What Caused the Decay
- Why Monarchies Still Exist
- The Invention of Printing: How It Influenced the Cultural Live
- Political Marriages in 14th Century
- Who Discovered America First?
- What Did Europeans Bring Home from Mayan People?
- Is Australia a Silent Continent?
- 7 Things We Borrowed from African Culture
US History Research Paper Topics
The history of the United States is so rich that college students absolutely have to study it. Here we have some good ideas to help you.
- ObamaCare: Best Intention, Worst Execution
- What did France Lose Because of Louisiana Purchase?
- Charleston in the Time of Civil War
- The Oldest Universities: Who Founded Them?
- Why Racism Still Exist?
- #Me_Too Movement
- Black Lives Matter Trap
- Is Class War Over in the USA?
- American-Iranian Tough Relationship
- WIll America Trigger WW3?
Texas History Research Topics
The US South was always in the spotlight on many social transformations and challenges. This is why it’s worthy to study it more.
- French, Spanish, Mexican, American: Texas Transformation within 4 centuries
- Texas During the Civil War
- Life of Native American Tribes During the Colonization
- French Influences In Texas Architecture
- Notable People from Texas
- Mexican-American War
- Pre-European Period in Texas History
- The Constitution of the Republic of Texas
- “Texas Eleven” and its Consequences
- Ted Cruz Political Course for Texas
American History Research Paper Topics
The U.S. revolution history before 1877 and its state during the 20th century are of particular interest for many college students, and they have their reason for it.
- The Rise of Nazism Under Trump’s Administration
- Feminist Movement in American History
- Afghanistan War and the US
- Why Contributions of African-American Soldiers During the WW2 is Still Silenced
- Martin Luther King and/vs Malcolm X
- Rosa Parks
- How the Development of the Railway System Shaped the US Future
- Alcatraz: World’s Most Secure Prison
- Stonewall Inn and It’s Importance in the Gay Movement
- Who was Alexander Hamilton?
Colonial America Research Topics
Before we know the US as it’s now, it was a bunch of territories under various European countries.
- Origin of the City Names and the History Behind them: New Amsterdam, San Antonio, New Orleans
- French Cultural Influence on the Southern States
- First Colonists: Who Were They?
- What Does the Religion Have to Do With the Colonist Wars?
- The era of Good Feelings: Why It Didn’t Last Long
- Alaska and Russian Colonies
- Alaska Purchase: The Biggest Russian Trade Failure
- El Camino Real: The Historical Importance
- Former Dutch Colonies
- How Ney York Became New York
African American History Research Paper Topics
From slavery issues to music to protests - African-American history is full of events that are rarely interpreted objectively and are given the importance they should have been.
- How Slavery Shaped the Social Discourse of the 17th century America
- Notable Events that Led to the Civil Rights Movement
- Harlem Rennaissance
- Stereotypical Representations of African Americans in Hollywood
- Slavery and Literature: How History is Viewed by African-American Writers
- Incarceration Problem
- Segregation Policies: Why Some Politicians Still Want Them Today
- Black Lives Matter
- History of Jazz
- USA Under First Black President
20th-century Research Paper Topics
From World Wars, mayhem and peace of the 1960s, recovery of the 1920s, and globalization - the last century is a well of topics to explore with research paper writing service or without one.
- Causes of WW1
- Bylshovyks and Nazis: What’s Similar
- Rise of Mafia
- Dictatorship Regimes in the 20th century
- How China Became a Powerful State
- Independence of African Countries
- Apartheid Break
- JFK Assassination
- The implication of Atomic Weapon
- The Rise of Globalization
Civil Rights Research Topics
The civil Rights movement was amongst the most important social movements the USA had, as it’s changed the nation’s discourse.
- Notable Cultural Activists during the Civil Right Movement
- The Role of AME Church
- Malcolm X Ideology
- MLK Assassination
- Black Panther Party
- Montgomery Bus Boycott
- Separate but Equal: the Education Case of Segregationism
- Loving v. Virginia: Interracial Marriages
- The tragedy of Emmett Till
- Jim Crow Policies
European History Research Paper Topics
The recent events in European history make quite a field for history students to explore and work on.
- England Before the United Kingdom
- Dictatorship in Europe
- Cosa Nostra: Italian Mafia Then and Today
- Decay of USSR
- New Hybrid Warfare; The Case of Russia, Georgia, Ukraine and Syria
- Germany After Hitler: Geopolitical Context
- Berlin Wall
- English-Irish Tension
- Formation of the European Union
- Brexit and Its Consequences
Ancient History Research Paper Topics
The early civilizations of ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, Persia, Babylon, China are the sources of culture we have today. That’s why it’s important to learn about them or from them.
- Religious of the Ancient Civilizations
- How Christianity Ruined the Culture
- Remains of the Roman cities in Italy
- The life and achievements of Alexander of Macedonia
- The life and achievements of Julius Caesar
- Nile River Valley: The History of the Monuments
- From Persia to Iran: The Cultural Heritage
- Origin and History of the Assyrian Empire
- The Kingdom of Urartu
- The Reign of Hammurabi
Western Civ Research Paper Topics
Any Western civilization is the beginning of the cultural heritage we cherish now on the European continent and beyond. Here are a few history research topics examples you might be willing to research.
- Medieval Christendom
- The Roman Empire and Its Biggest Achievements
- Inventions of Ancient Greece We still Use Now
- Reasons for the Fall of Rome
- Kyiv Rus in the Context of Western Monarchies
- Byzantium Empire and Its Influence on Christianity
- The Rise & Fall of Feudalism
- The Rise & Fall of The Second Temple
- Cultural Heritage of Hellenistic Judaism
- Age of Discovery: Why People Sought Better Life
Middle Ages Research Topics
Medieval times are often strongly associated with the church’s influence on every sphere of life and it makes sense to study where it all led us.
- Division of the Roman Empire
- Western Schism and Its Influence on Catholicism
- Importance of the Merovingian Dynasty in France
- War of Roses
- Missionaries to Scandinavia
- The History of first Crusades
- Reconquista: Causes & Effects
- Heroic Epos and Its Historical Context
- The Invention of Gunpowder and Warfare Change
- Value of Marco Polo Diaries
Native American History Research Topics
These ideas are your chance to explore the rich history of Native Americans from their origin to the present day and get custom research paper writing help you need now.
- The History of Thanksgiving Day
- What is the Purpose of Reservations
- The Rise and Fall of the Navajo Nation
- Native American Tribes in the USA Today
- Pre-discovery North America
- Diseases the Europeans Gifted the Native Americans
- America Settlement: There the People Came From
- Native Americans and Spiritualism
- Repressions of Native Americans
- Native Americans and Civil War
Salem Witch Trials Research Paper Topics
The history of Puritans is marked with the cruelest court trials one can imagine. See how many issues still remain uncovered.
- The Reasons for Salem Witch Trials
- The Execution Methods during SWT
- American Heresy: Salem Witch Trials and Failures
- Political Context of Witch Accusations
- Puritans and Calvinism
- Gender Context of Witch Trials
- Archeological Sites of Salem
- Witch Trials Former Prosecutions
- The History of Witch Cake
- Salem Witch Trials in Modern Culture
Slavery Research Paper Topics
A truly disgraceful period of the American nation and around the world that needs more public talking than ever before.
- Slavery and Music in the USA
- Slavery in Europe
- Slavery in the Russian Empire
- Early History of Slavery
- Slavery in Films
- Slave Market and Human Trafficking Today
- Adam Smith and Slavery
- Slave, Not Slave: The things People Did to Differentiate the Class
- Slavery in the 21st Century
- Sex Slavery
Black History Research Topics
The Black people in America suffered a lot of repressions until the 70s, and those policies are claimed as the tragic social norms that people implemented back then. However, we should not underestimate the cultural influence they’ve brought to the continent.
- Black Music and the Civil Rights Movement
- Emancipation Proclamation
- Jazz Era and Black Culture
- Ghettos in NYC
- Black History Month
- Claudette Colvin, Rosa Parks, and Other Women
- Transatlantic Slave Trade
- Minstrel Shows and Blackfacing: Trudeau’s Case
- The Rise of Hip Hop Culture
- Black Athletes that Changed Sports Forever
Civil War Research Topics
If the only help with research paper on the Civil War you need is to choose the topic, here comes your wish.
- Union vs Confederacy: Top Differences
- “Slave States” Politics
- Notable Commanders and Leaders of the Civil War
- Compromise Act of 1850
- Fort Sumter Battle
- Charleston Port Battle
- Baltimore Riots
- Military Mobilization During the Civil War
- Civil War Ecranization
- Conquest of Virginia and Its Historic Relevance
Cold War Research Topics
- What was the Cold War
- Modern Cold Wars in the World
- Caribbean Crisis and Cold War
- Espionage and Cold War
- Brezhnev Doctrine
- American Economy Under Cold War
- USSR Motivs for Cold War
- Raegan vs Thatcher
- NKVD and other Special Units of USSR Military during the Cold War
- The Marshall Plan
Vietnam War Research Topics
The event that still echoes with the disastrous consequences should be studied to avoid the same political mistakes in the future.
- Johnson’s Reasoning for Vietnam War
- American Interference into Asia
- Vietnam War and Public Outcry
- Cambodia Genocide
- Vietnam War Belligerents and their Supporters
- American Soldiers in Vietnam
- Social Issues of the Vietnam War inside the States
- Cost of the Vietnam War for Today’s Economy and Politics in the States
- Sino-Soviet Split
- Vietnam Syndrome
World War I Research Topics
WWI had a lot of events that need to de addressed, as many of them seem to repeat themselves throughout the 20th century.
- WW1 Background
- Sarajevo Assassination: the Reason or Cover-Up for the War
- Mlada Bosna and Other Terrorist Groups in Europe
- July Crisis and Political maneuvers
- The Meaning of Schlieffen Plan
- German Offensive: France and Belgium Attacks
- The USA during the WW1
- Military Recruitment for Armies from non-involved Countries
- Hague Convention
- First World War Naval Warfare
World War II Research Topics
- WW2 Ideological Background
- Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact
- Allies and Axis
- Atomic Bomb Explosion in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- WWII Concentration camps, Genocides, and Slavery
- Culture during the Second World War
- Aftermath of WW2
- Results of Yalta Conference
- Nuremberg Trials
Revolutionary War Research Topics
- Boston Tea Party
- Continental Congress During the War for Independence
- First President of the USA
- Formation of the USA
- Revolutionary War and Foreign Interventions
- Taxation Disputes and the Beginning of War
- Alexander Hamilton and the American Economy
- Logistics and Warfare during the Revolutionary war
- What Would Happen If Hamilton Wasn’t Killed
- Native Americans in the War for Independence
Art History Research Paper Topics
Art is an important part of human existence as it preserves the history and helps historians to learn more about the life and culture of the given period.
- Renaissance and Painting
- WW2 and Art
- Fin de Siecle: Literature, Painting, Music
- Leonardo da Vinci’s Inventions
- The earliest Art Objects of Ancient Civilizations
- Hippie Art
- How Photography changed the Art
- Invention of Camera Obscure
- The Lumiere Brothers and the beginning of Cinema
- 7 World Wonders
Music History Research Paper Topics
Since music and lyrics group together, it stopped being an option for recreation and has obtained more social and political context to it. Explore the following themes, and you’ll learn how the social struggles were reflected in the music of the last century.
- How Jazz Got to Europe
- History of Rock’n’Roll
- Hip-Hop and Black Culture
- Music Instruments of Ancient Greece
- Rise of R’n’B
- Gospels in the Civil Right Movements Context
- Indigenous American Music and Spiritual Events
- 80s Culture: How Music Became Pop
- The British Invasion
- New York Jazz Scene in the 60s
Theatre History Research Topics
Being one of the oldest entertainments, the theater still remains an important historical object for research and it’s undergone many transformations since that time.
- Roman theater vs Greek Theater
- Japanese and Chinese Theaters: Then and Now
- Remains of Ancient Theaters in Rome
- Pre-Shakespearian Theater
- Contemporary Theaters
- The Rise of Broadway Shows
- Spanish Classical Theater and Plays
- Most Influential Playwrights of the 20th Century
- American Theater vs Classical Theater
- Ibsen’s Plays and His Role in Establishing the New Theater
History topics are very diverse as they concern every aspect of human life since the beginning of humanity. The topics above are given as pointers regarding what kind of research one can do while studying a particular period of a particular country. We hope it will serve you well in your discoveries!